Sunday, December 14, 2008

Zions Narrows



This is what I sent Traci to use in her comments at the funeral:

My best memories with Dahl are hikes that we took. I remember when we were rushing through the Zion's Narrows hike to make sure everyone made it through the canyon before it got dark. We stopped by a side canyon to eat lunch and then hiked another hour downstream before Dahl remembered leaving his camera at the side canyon. Dahl and I sent the others on ahead to stay on schedule and then hiked back to where we ate lunch. After retrieving the camera, we turned around and raced back down canyon toward the others in the group. Hiking fast on any trail is tough, but Zion's Narrows with its deep cold water and slippery rocks is not meant to be rushed. We actually caught up to the rest of the group before they finished the hike (and with plenty of daylight to spare).  Shelley still gives me a hard time about having rushed the hike too fast.  When we got to Zions Lodge to use the bathroom, Dahl started going into the ladies room.  When I told him that he was going to the wrong bathroom, he just smiled, waved, and headed into the women's wash room anyway.  He quickly returned and asked me why I didn't tell him he was going the wrong way.

I was very sore the next morning and ready to enjoy sleeping in, but Dahl got me up at the crack of dawn and insisted on hiking up Angel's Landing.  In order to maintain my manhood and the illusion that I could keep up with my father-in-law on even the toughest hikes, I rolled out of my sleeping bag and climbed up Wally's Wiggles to the top of Angel's Landing.  I always wondered where Dahl got the strength and energy to out hike men who were 30 years his junior!  It must have been all that training in the Army!

I am fortunate to have a wife and children that inherited Dahl's love of hiking and his appreciation for the beauties of nature.

Russ

No comments: